McDonalds Aloo Tikki(Potato Patty)Burger
Mc Donalds Aloo Tikki Burger is a very simple but one of the most loved product, here in India. It just got three elements Aloo Patty-Onion Slice-Tomato Slice. Easy! Still, everyone finds it good enough to grab one every now and then, Why? Have you ever given a thought? I am sure it’s not only the price (28-30 bucks all-inclusive of taxes) but also it’s unique and standardized flavour, what do you say? Besides the price, I think it’s the unique tastes which make it stand out from all others. That’s what I have understood if you got some opinion, do share, I just love the flow of information and thoughts all over.
Aim: To decode the exactly same recipe
Let’s have a chat how does the patty taste the way it is.
- Patty has a flaky texture, not bland.
- Patty does not taste overloaded, means no heavy binding agents are used for all-purpose flour or cornflour.
- The spice mix is unique and more relative to Indian taste pallets.
- The sauce which they use is neither too sweet nor sour, slightly orange in colour.
- The patty has a coating with a subsequent crunch which gives a bite, without pressing down the potato and spices flavour overall.
- Sesame less bun, just so simple.
I think I am sounding like I am about to conduct an experiment with potatoes, funny! Anyways, this discussion is just worth it. Listen, my food junkies, I do not want you to follow my recipe blindly that is why I am performing some reasoning so that what I did and why, should be conversant between us, fair enough?
Your advice and feedback will be considered as your love for food, also for me!![sce emoji=”blush”/]
The texture of Patty:
The patty texture is flaky which means potatoes are not mashed but grated. Cold potatoes will keep the shape in place, as they won’t have moisture and patty will turn out to be denser, than when taken at room temperature.
Beaten rice(Poha) will reduce the requirement of any binding agent like all-purpose flour or cornflour. This way patty won’t taste will too heavy or overloaded and spices will emerge well.
Boiled peas are like a cherry on top, since its Indian![sce emoji=”clap”/]Although, i am not a big fan of peas but I can hold on if they are in a mushy texture.
Spice mix is very intelligent, regular spices are used. I will mention all the spices below. The taste leaves a memory on the tongue. Sounds like it does some kind of hypnotism[sce emoji=”lips”/]
Three layered Coating:
The first layer is just cornflour+baking powder. Dry coat keeps the wet coat stay in place, in short, it gives a body to the second coat which a wet batter.
The second layer is a mixture of All purpose flour, cornflour and cornmeal(makki ka atta) with the required amount of water to make a lump-free batter. Almost all the major things are done by now.
The third layer is a shower of breadcrumbs all over which results in golden crisp and tasty burger patty.Ohh, I can recreate that amazing flavour in my mouth right now! I wish I am able to reach my goal of tempting you guys enough to just rush to the kitchen and end up with super delicious burgers.[sce emoji=”lipssealed”/]
This may give you the strength to keep reading, lol!
The Orange creamy sauce:.
This is just minute’s problem, ketchup-the tomato one with mayonnaise( with egg or without)- few drops of paprika red in colour. Done! You don’t believe me, belief or not but this is hardcore reality [sce emoji=”laugh”/]
Not that hair bun I am talking about[sce emoji=”makeup”/], the burger buns! hahahah I got you this time. I don’t know it does or does not matter to use or not to use the same sort of bun which Mc Donalds use. I personally don’t bother about this much, I just used the sesame buns however they use without sesame. Anyways, you make up your mind and buy whatever you like. If you want to show up your skill and want to roam in the home with 50 inches chest then go ahead make the replica 100% same as to Mc Donalds, umm!
I think this is way too much I had in mind when I write I go crazy and write like a maniac. My mind starts imagining what you guys will be thinking if I write this…or if I write that bla bla bla.. I am sure my lappie’s keyboard hates me the most in the entire world, I have been pushing-scratching-smashing-rubbing it all over it for a long time now. What, sounding adult? I hope there are no kids reading this.[sce emoji=”nerdy”/]
No further talks now lets go and begin with the beginning…[sce emoji=”rofl”/]
- 3 medium-sized boiled cold potatoes
- 3 tbsp soaked beaten rice
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/6 cup boiled or frozen peas
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp yellow/ red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- First coat-4 tbsp cornflour with 1 tbsp baking powder
- Second coat 3 tbsp all-purpose flour- 1.5 tbsp cornflour 1 tbsp cornmeal plus salt( a pinch)- water 5-6 tbsp
- Third coat Breadcrumbs
4 burger buns
Instructions to cook:
- Boil the potatoes for around 12-15 minutes. Once at room temperature, store in the refrigerator for 2 hours minimum. Take out and peel off the skin. Grate the potatoes in a bowl.
- Add beaten rice all the spices mentioned above and peas. Combine everything well. Form shape of a patty.
- Divide four equal size portions and try to form a shape of a patty with each one.
- Start making the coatings, take cornflour and baking powder as per the measurements mentioned above in a plate and keep it aside.
- The second layer- add all-purpose flour, cornflour, cornmeal, salt, oil(optional), add water bit by bit. Make a batter shown below.
- Now coat the patty in all three layers one by one.
- Deep fry all the patties on a medium flame for about 10 minutes. Make sure you do not overcrowd the oil at the same time also take sufficient amount of oil so that all the patties sit completely inside the oil.
- Make the orange sauce.
- Toast your little babies
- Now bring everything together.
Oh my god, that was a whole lot of steps and pictures and ingredients and the end product was supperrr and I loved it. Do try the recipe and share your feedback with me.
- Dip onions in water to reduce the sourness for 10 mins
- Freeze the patty in the freezer in a zip log bag to get best results.
- If your patty is breaking add some cornflour to give strength, this may be because you haven’t used the cold potatoes.
- Make a sausage using cling wrap and store in the freezer. cut half-inch thick slices keeping in mind the size of bun, this will make your patty look professional.
Do not hesitate to have all four of’em[sce emoji=”smile”/]
For complete visual instructions, please watch me cooking below
For more information, refer to other recipes. Take care!! happy eating….