Dal bhat Recipe is a staple dish in the Indian subcontinent, also popular in regions of Nepal, and Bangladesh.
Dal Bhat Recipe is an extremely simple dish to cook, so satisfying, each one of us can make it at our home in just 15 mins.
I and my family used to gorge on this usually at lunchtime.
It becomes sometimes boring to have just the Dal Bhat as we loved to have more than two dishes in our meals.
Dal Bhat Recipe Accompaniments:
We paired it with a Salad and Raita, some extremely sour pickle by the side.
Salad: A salad consisting of onion, tomato, zucchini (in summertime), radish (in winters) with lots of lime juice drizzled on it with a hint to black rock salt giving an energy to the dressing with a drizzle of olive oil. A simple salad, isn’t?
Raita: This is a yoghurt based dip which has chopped vegetables like cucumber and onion with some salt, paprika and roasted cumin powder garnished with fresh finely chopped coriander and mint.
These two completes the meal, It fills my soul more than my stomach, hahahah.
Dal Bhat Recipe is also often served with Vegetable Tarkari.
More about Dal Bhat Recipe :
Dal Bhat Recipe can be made with any of the lentils of your choice, but it tastes best with a mix of Split Peas (Chana Dal) and Yellow split pigeon peas (Chana Dal).
I use to prefer a ration of 60-40 of both lentils respectively. This combination creates a great consistency, not so mushy, I mean. Actually, if you can see the lentil in the liquid separately, then it may not taste so good.It shouldn’t be dissolved also. It tastes best when it’s mushy. I mean, I like it this way.
There are only two steps, first, we need to soak the lentil and pressure cook it for at least 4-5 whistles with some seasoning.
In the next step, we need to prepare to temper (tadka) the lentil.
It is so simple to cook Lentil, and I think, we all know how to make steamed rice which pairs so god damn good with hot Lentil soup.
Lentil soup with steamed rice is a heavenly combination for a lunch.
If you haven’t tried yet, go ahead and do it once. It has its own taste. It is actually lentilish in taste, I cannot categorise it as spicy, sour or anything. Just like chicken has got its own taste, same goes with this.
Cook and let me know, how will you define it.
For now, Let’s begin with the ingredients you need.
Ingredients for Dal bhat Recipe (Lentil soup):
1 cup yellow split lentil(Chana dal)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup split pigeon lentil(Toor dal)
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon oil
4 tablespoon Clarified butter/ regular butter
1 tablespoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2 teaspoon Hing or Asafoetida
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 Green chillies
1 teaspoon chopped ginger and garlic
2 finely chopped tomatoes
1 finely chopped onion
For Bhat or Steamed Rice:
1 cup long grain Basmati rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Oil
Directions to cook Dal Bhat Recipe :
- Mix both the lentils in a container and wash them thoroughly with fresh tap water thrice at least or until you see the water is no more cloudy.
- Take a pressure cooker, add lentils with three cups of water. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder as seasonings with a teaspoon of oil. Cook for 12 minutes or 4-5 whistles, the end product will be mushy.
- Until Lentil is cooked, prepare the tempering for it. Take a tadka pan or a regular pan, Add clarified butter or regular butter, once it is hot, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, chopped ginger and garlic, green chillies, onions, salt around a pinch, Kashmiri red chilli powder and saute for 3-4 minutes until onions are golden in colour. At this stage, add tomatoes and cook for next 5-8 minutes so until tomatoes are soft and mushy. Make sure you keep the flame on the medium during the entire process, else garlic and powdered spices may burn which will result in a bitter taste in the lentil soup.
- Now add the boiled lentil soup to the tempering and cook for another 5 minutes. Adjust the consistency by pouring some water if required. It shouldn’t be thick, nor watery. Check salt, and adjust as per taste.
- Your lentil soup is ready. Keep it aside and garnish with lots of chopped fresh coriander. Add more clarified butter while serving(as per individual choice).
- To make steamed rice, take one cup rice. Wash them well. Take a deep pan, put rice with two and a half cup of water, add a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of oil. Let it cook for 15 minutes with a lid on!
- Serve steamed rice with hot lentil soup. Add sides if you want. Happy eating!
NOTE: If Lentils and rice are soaked in water separately for around an hour or so before cooking, then they cook faster and requires less water and tastes much better.
Are you an Indian food lover? Check out another sumptuous recipe, click here