Frittata is an Italian dish which is an egg omelette you can say,in addition with eggs there could be meat, deep-fried potatoes, cheeses or other vegetables as well. Frittata actually means ‘Fried’. It has a disk shape and looks similar to a pizaa or Quiche.
In old times, the traditional way to cook Frittata was deep-frying the sliced potatoes in a deep pot. Once they are done mixing other stuffs with it. Today I am going to make it in a slightly different way, as this way its going to taste almost same but we can cook it in less time keeping in mind the breakfast rush.
I understand, eating omelette every second day could be boring, though this recipe gives an amazing twist to what we call an omelette. I am a big fan of this Spanish omelette not just because of the taste but also by the kind of nutritional values it has got, and obviously its one-pot meal feature.
Texture and Taste of Frittata:
Frittata belongs to savoury category but because of fried potatoes and lots of onions cooked slowly, gives a sweetness to the overall taste. Also, it depends on the type of cheese you use, like I used fresh ricotta so it did not change the flavor much, but if you use a cheese which melts really well can take this omelette to another level, I swear! So, keep experimenting with your dishes, become a food scientist [sce emoji=”laugh”/] ohh what’s that Is there any profession like this, or I just invented one![sce emoji=”lipssealed”/]
About the texture, it is eggy for sure. It is soft, creamy, which is coming from the combination of deep fried potatoes-caramalised onions-mushrooms, actually, everything is creamy here!
Difference between my recipe and the tradional Fritatta:
Deep fry the potatoes cut into thin slices, cook for 10-15 minutes on medium-high flame, remove from oil then mix gently with whisked eggs and let the mixture sit for another 10 minutes so that potatoes can absorb the eggs very well.
For instance,here deep frying involves a lot of calorie intake but not on a healthier side , time-consuming too. I tried to bring those calories back in the form of vegetables and fresh fresh ricotta cheese(homemade).
I also changed the cutting style from slices to small dices so that they can cook evenly and fast just by sauteing, no need to deep fry at all.[sce emoji=”poolparty”/].No second thoughts that deep-fried version tastes more attacking but this too is no less, trust me!
So, I think this much is enough to talk about an omelette. Otherwise most of the recipes involves a lot of chat, huh!
Let’s get cooking..
Ingredients for Frittata:
- 1.5 Potato diced
- 2 Onion sliced roughly
- 4-5 Button Mushrooms
- 10-12 Peas (as per choice)
- 1.5tsp Salt or as per taste
- 1.5tsp Black pepper
- Pizza seasoning(optional)
- 4 tsp Oil to stir fry (olive oil prefered)
- 6-8 Eggs
- Fresh Basil or coriander leaves to garnish
- Fresh ricotta or cottage cheese to garnish
Instructions to cook Frittata:
- Firstly, perform the chopping part. Cut off all the vegertables and keep aside.
- Take eggs in a large bowl and whisk well with salt and pepper. Add pizza seasoning for extra flavouring.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add oil and cook potatoes until soft (7-8 minutes) as they wont get chance to cook with eggs as eggs gets cooked fast. Lover with lid, this way they will cook faster.
- Once cooked add onions, saute until caramalised well (3-4 minutes) , then add mushrooms and peas. You can add any vegetable of your choice, in case of brocolli (blanch) separately. But who likes brocolli with eggs, I don’t know may be some of us do. So, it’s a tip for them.
- Now, add this vegetable mix to your whisked eggs bowl, and mix everything well.
- Take the same pan, pour the mixture right in if the pan is already oily, else add a cube of butter.
- Cook for about 3-4 minutes, check sides using a spatula, if it turned golden brown take a plate bigger than your pan and put it upside down on your pan, flip the pan immediately.
- Again put the same pan on the flame and gently slide the omelette onto the pan, make sure you slide the omelette towards the sides of the man, not in the middle. This way you wont end up breaking your baby.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes more, and we’re done. Slide off the omelette in the plate back and garnish with your choice of herbs and cheese..
For visual instructions, Please watch me cooking below
DO NOT FORGET TO SHARE YOUR COMMENTS AND FEEDBACK, LOADS OF LOVE[sce emoji=“heart“/]